Wednesday 3 December 2014

Researching Thrillers | Se7en | opening credit analysis

As my main task is to create the first two minutes of a Thriller, I have deceided to take a closer look at the opening credits of the movie "Se7en", directed by David Fincher. Instantly I think the first thing that stands out to the audience is the intense, uncomfotable close ups accompanied by music with a heavy beat and a slow tempo, which feeds off and amplifies the already tense atmosphere it has already created.
The atmosphere in my opion is at its most uncomfortable when the credits appear uncompanied by the high pitchted, white noise like sound followed by a cut to a very intense, up close and grotesque image such as the, who we now know to be the main antagonist, John Doe, peeling off his fingerprints with what appears to be a pencil sharpener blade. As this is such a memorable and out of the ordinary expeirnce for the audience, it remains in the mind but also almost makes them 'squirm' when they see this as its so intense and 'in your face' it almost feels like theres no escape. For my piece that I am creating, I would like to include something similar to the way the credits appear in this sequence for example, I like the way the they look, they have a look that create and uncomfortable vibe surrounding them. Also the accompanied music is a nice touch and works hand in hand with the credits and intense close ups to create an atmosphere.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment